The history of the Atom – MCQ Worksheet (with answer) – set 4
- The history of the atom began almost
a. 2500 years ago.
b. 700 years ago.
c. 500 years ago.
d. 100 years ago.
- Dalton’s research provided evidence that
a. atoms exist.
b. gases consist of tiny particles in constant motion.
c. a compound always consists of the same elements in the same ratio.
d. all of the above
- Which statement is part of Dalton’s atomic theory?
a. All substances are made of atoms.
b. Atoms can be divided into smaller particles.
c. Atoms form when compounds join together.
d. All atoms of the same element have the same number of protons.
- Dalton’s atomic models were most similar to
a. bowling balls.
b. plum puddings.
c. planetary orbits.
d. blades of a fan.
- Thomson’s research involved
a. gold foil and alpha particles.
b. electric current and a vacuum tube.
c. gases and pressure.
d. neutrons and back scattering.
- In the plum pudding model of the atom, the plums represent
- In the planetary model, the planets represent
a. alpha particles.
b. gold atoms.
d. positive charges.
Answers to MCQ Worksheet
The history of the Atom – Matching worksheet – set 5
Match each definition with the correct term.
1. scientist who discovered electrons. 2. philosopher who thought the idea of the atom was ridiculous
3. Thomson’s atomic model
4. philosopher who introduced the idea of the atom
5. Rutherford’s atomic model
6. scientist who developed atomic theory
7. scientist who discovered the nucleus
c. John Dalton
d. J. J. Thomson
e. Ernest Rutherford
f. plum pudding model
g. planetary model
Answer – Matching Assignment
The history of the Atom – Fill in the Blanks worksheet – set 6
Fill in the Blank: Fill in the blank with the appropriate term.
- Democritus’s idea of the atom was revived by __.
- Dalton thought that __ are the smallest particles of matter.
- The first subatomic particle to be discovered was the __.
- Protons were discovered by __.
- James Chadwick discovered __.
- The term atom is based on a Greek word that means __.
- Dalton theorized that atoms join together to form __.
Answer – Fill in the Blank (answers)
Fill in the Blank